Re: designing software tutorials

Subject: Re: designing software tutorials
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "V. Camgros" <camgros -at- mindspring -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:11:49 -0400

Oh! I am *so* jealous! I love developing tutorials. It's my absolute
favorite thing to do. And I love programming in Java. If I could meld
those two, I would be absolutely ecstatic. Throw in modular writing,
and I'd be unable to handle the excitement, and would likely faint.

This, of course, does nothing to help you figure out how to map out
your course. But that out of the way, I would say that the first thing
you need to do is know the tool, yourself. Let's assume that you know
that. Next, I would figure out what features of your tool/api
library/widget/whatever set it apart from the competition. Then, I
would figure out how those features would be most advantageous to your
specific silos (as we call them in gov't... private industry I seem to
recall calls them vertical markets). Then, I would figure out how to
make the tutorials such that they get early bang for the buck (think
"hello world" but better), and that eventually take the person going
through the tutorial to the place where they're going to be *begging*
the management to buy the tool/api library/widget/whatever. (Don't
fall into the wrong thinking only that this will be used by people who
already have the software... if you do this right, it would SO be good
as a marketing document!)

Remember, though, that the most important thing to answer throughout
the tutorial is not "how," but "why!"

Let us know how it goes!

--
-David Castro