RE: This too is technical communication

Subject: RE: This too is technical communication
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Chris Borokowski'" <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "'Beth Agnew'" <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:37:45 -0700

Did I get lost here? Arhitects, information or otherwise, create the
blueprint for some product, whether it is a building or a technology system.
The product does not exist until it is defined and built by developers.
Technical writers document the product that exists, after it has been built
by developers. How can somebody who explains a product that exists also
define how the product should exist?

Technical writers can be information architects if they are qualified, they
can be developers too, but being a technical writer does not qualify someone
to be an information architect. A person can have an expanded role that
goes beyond technical writing, but technical writing is just technical
writing and the discipline does not imply an expanded role. Although,
technical writers are frequently given work that goes beyond technical
writing.

Developers, on the other hand, may have a greater qualification for being a
systems architect compared to technical writer because developers need to
build the product that the systems architect designs. So developers have an
intimate understanding of how things work together. This certainly doesn't
mean that a developer should develop content. That's just silly.
Developers don't write.

Lauren