RE: My cropped graphics won't compress

Subject: RE: My cropped graphics won't compress
From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: "'Edgar D' Souza'" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 12:34:30 -0700

Let's see. My contracts are usually with State agencies and large
corporations that tend to deal with sensitive data. I wouldn't do anything
to put any unapproved application on the company's computer because I do not
want to jeopardize my opportunity for future contracts.

I do not have privacy on my client's computers and they do know what I have
put on those machines when the project ends because they do access my files
when I leave. In my experience, managers believe that the contract
technical writer does not need a graphics program. They have never approved
my use of any graphics program other than what is on my computer, even when
they do have a license.

The rules of every company and agency that I have worked for state that no
unauthorized software is permitted. I sign an agreement that I will not
install any software or *freeware*. The Gimp is freeware and is included in
the class of unauthorized apps. So I don't install anything. I can't
really hide a violation of the agreement if I could somehow install
something, and I wouldn't want to violate the agreement anyway, so I don't
violate it.

I could probably put in my contract, "Client must provide a decent graphics
program," but that seems like a hassle for a 3-6 month documentation
contract when the graphics are usually just screenshots. Adding conditions
to the contract also put me at risk of not getting the contract. It might
take me longer to use Paint, but I'm paid by the hour and it's the client's
prerogative to handle things this way.

Lauren

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList