Re: This too is technical communication

Subject: Re: This too is technical communication
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 13:29:48 -0700

In most of my working experience it is relatively rare for developers
to be the ones who define products. More commonly, there are
marketing or other product people whose job it is to understand
their customers' needs, determine what kind of a product would
be able to meet those needs and predict what the potential revenue
to be made from such a product would be. The developers are
tasked with the goals of initial research to determine if the product
can be created, and only when it is concluded that it can be done
at a cost that will result in profit from the predicted revenue does
development happen. In my previous career as a test engineer I
think I atually worked on more products that never saw release
than ones that did. It is only in recent (say the past 15-20 years)
that whole industires have grown around the model that some
techie comes up with a "cool idea" and others throw money at
developing it into a product or service on the hunch that enough
people will think it is "cool" enough to spend actual money to buy
it.

Gene Kim-Eng