RE: Professionalism and pay

Subject: RE: Professionalism and pay
From: <richard -dot- melanson -at- us -dot- tel -dot- com>
To: <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:41:09 -0400

I wrote a PM Manual for a company that was then sued. The end of our machine had a solid lexan door that was damn heavy. The door was raised and lowered via two sets of cables and pulleys. The design was flawed and the cables could ride off the pulleys allowing the door to slam down on someone or a piece of someone who was under it. This happened to someone who broke an arm and injured their back. We were then sued. Engineering was in big heat because of the design flaw. BUT I pointed out that I had added a section in the weekly PM of the machine to visually inspect the cables and pulleys to avoid this slamming from happening. When the PM Manual I wrote hit the courtroom, we were release of all responsibilities because the user or our equipment could not prove they had been doing the weekly inspections. I never got so much as a thank you from my company. And I like to believe I had dug them out of a big hole.

Rick