Re: Professionalism and pay (was RE: 'Know thy audience')

Subject: Re: Professionalism and pay (was RE: 'Know thy audience')
From: Elizabeth J Allen <eja -at- samurai -dot- com>
To: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 18:40:36 -0400

Sadly, I document hardware. Semiconductors to be exact. I write
reference manuals, datasheets, document pinouts, signal mapping, and
register specs. I am very good at my job and have been called "the
best technical writer we've ever worked with" by a previous employer
(another semiconductor company). Documenting semiconductors is a
fairly rare skill in the realm of technical writers.

But I am not, according to my employer, an engineer. Therefore I am
perceived to be not as valuable as an engineer.

I have to wonder at the wisdom of a company that decrees that a level
I engineer, straight out of university is inherently worth more in
terms of compensation than an experienced technical writer.

Well, I can say the company has successful motivated me. I'm just not
sure they want me to be motivated in this way.

Elizabeth
--
Elizabeth J. Allen
Samurai Consulting Inc.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." —Albert
Einstein

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList