RE: does quality matter? should it?

Subject: RE: does quality matter? should it?
From: "Roberts, Dan x36117" <Dan -dot- Roberts -at- broadridge -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:40:57 -0400

Well, first, what does this Chief Engineer and Bottlewasher consider
"quality doc" to be? Once CE/BW sets down his expectations, you have no
target to aim for, in determining if/when your doc is quality.

Once CE/BW does set down guidelines, then you come back to that
Time-Resource-Quality-Quantity equation, and to the definition of 'quality'.

* Is a quality doc comprised of finely-honed language, the ultimate of
user-friendly technigues, and using the most cutting-edge of media
presentations? Is quality doc going to make me dance around my cube,
shouting "yes, yes, a thousand times, yes!" (ala the teacher from A
Christmas Story)?
* Is a quality doc comprised of enough information to let the user do what
he/she needs to do, without unduly confusing the user, and without guiding
the user to destroy 5 years of data or to launch Soviet missles? Does that
mean that the online doc is going to (for the most part) have to be a dump
of the printed material?

Given your limited resource, limited time, and high demands, you might have
to settle for producing something "as good as it gets" and possibly using
any free-time (what's that?) to gradually improve the docs to where you're
happy with them.

Or another idea is to not throw the baby with the bathwater - don't approach
quality doc as an all-or-nothing idea. Can you produce one fabulous doc
(maybe the one that most of your users will need) and leave the others as
only "ok"? Can you pare down your doc offerings, to give you the wiggle room
to make a quality doc - maybe produce an awesome Getting Started guide, and
routine Reference material? Or a Getting Started and a help system?

I guess what I'm getting around to suggesting is that Quality isn't a
zero-sum game (is that the phrase I want) and is certainly not an absolute,
by any means. Pick your own quality battles, and bypass the others.

Dan Roberts
Dan -dot- Roberts -at- broadridge -dot- com (new!)
212 973-6117, or x36117