RE: Shelfware (was Simply)

Subject: RE: Shelfware (was Simply)
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:06:50 -0400

Sigh, it always seems to be the same dance -- we have to go through the old steps that we all know don't work (point the TW at the process, have her observe and write accurate instructions, stick 'em on a shelf or in a drawer, try to blame the TW when people don't use the docs) before they will let me roll out an organized "Document Our Quality" project, form SME teams with snacks and other incentives (I like movie tickets for them and their kids when we complete their area and disband the team).

We have done the first dance. While management was busy with other priorities (so they blew off the documentation project meetings since January), I went ahead and ignored the assigned schedule and instead created a solid Quality Management System Manual with basic ISO quality manual, policy and objectives, QMS procedures and umbrella process description for the company-specific production process (leads down into the labyrinth of work instructions and quality records/forms).

Yesterday I was able to gently browbeat the management team into agreeing to an official rollout date of 5/15 for training and tests, implementation on 6/21. I'm all set with a full "marketing campaign" for the system to sell it to our people. Yeah, the reality is still "Management has decided to turn your lives upside down once again and you can comply or leave" -- but I'm ready to offer the illusion that this really is A Good Thing and they are going to Like It and it Ain't Gonna Be That Bad. Designed a logo and brochure and posters for the rollout, contest, newsletter, yadda yadda.

Management says they support the project. I think they honestly _want_ to support it. But they really don't know how (and upper management won't let them spend any money on it), and everybody is scared that if we actually put it out on the floor we will discover that we (they) have bitten off more than they can chew.

They get it that our competitors are registering to ISO right and left, FDA and OSHA and USDA are requiring compliance if not registration, and our customers are becoming global-savvy and are requiring compliance if not registration. And they are still scared about biting off more, etc.

I've actually got their documentation process under control now, with a well-designed relational database and clear, simple process descriptions and instructions. But they won't believe me that it's a piece of cake from this point (or it will be if I can get Management to actually attend the corrective action review meetings and let me pull two or three people at a time off the floor for a total of six hours -- one hour at a time -- to attend SME team meetings).

Sigh, it's a culture change. Always fun.

I'm thinking it might be time to seriously push on bringing in a consultant for some management training and a formal review of our system as it is at this point: at least for a document review and gap analysis against the Standard.

I _know_ that other TWs on this list are maestros of the orchestra, if not divas of this dance. Any other, cheaper, solutions for this situation at the top of your noggins?

Other than announcing "I'm too good a TW to be horsing around with this manure" and walking out. For many strange and obscure reasons, I don't want to do that. At least not yet.

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList