Re: Any comments on Word 2007?

Subject: Re: Any comments on Word 2007?
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com" <Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:08:42 -0500

On 2/19/07, Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com <Liz_Vela -at- bcbstx -dot- com> wrote:

Has anyone upgraded to Word 2007? If so, do you recommend it? I'm able to
choose Office 2007 if I want it, but I'm afraid to convert from Word 2000.

I've had it installed (along with Vista) on a test machine and running
for a few weeks, and am cautiously optimistic, although it is far too
soon to tell, as I haven't worked on any really complex documents in
Office 2007 "starting from scratch" yet.

The main differences that would seem to be important to technical
writers: the implementation of styles seems to be better thought out,
the "compare documents" feature is MUCH better (IMO), and there looks
to be much better XML support than in Word 2003, though that is a
feature that is probably of most interest to developers, and not most
tech writers, at this time.

Note, however, that the interface is *very* different from earlier
versions of Word (the other Office apps are pretty different, too) and
all the Office 2007 apps use a new file format that older versions
can't natively read; *however*, Office 2007 will save files in older
formats, and you can download a set of filters from the Microsoft site
that will enable, say, Office 2003 to read docs saved in Office 2007
format.

Office 2007, like Vista, has only been available to retail customers
since January 30, 2007. In another month or two, I might have a more
educated opinion to offer. Right now the only people who have had
enough time working with Office 2007 to have an experienced, educated
opinion are people who have been working with pre-release versions, or
some select Microsoft business partners who have had the release
version since roughly the end of November last year.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell -- <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com> -- <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
Voice: +1.212.807.1836 | Mobile: +1. 646.498.3518 | Fax: +1.866.522.7270