RE: Interviewing Strategies

Subject: RE: Interviewing Strategies
From: "Greg Holmes" <greg -dot- holmes -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 06:03:00 -0500

"James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

Also, as previously posted, I have never, EVER, asked an
interviewer "Can I have the job?" That, to me, is just
too forward.

Same here - to me, there's a difference between "show
enthusiasm for the job" (which is perhaps what all the advice
gurus actually mean by this?) and "ask for the job like a
cookie". Also, it seemed too formulaic - after all, both I and
the interviewer knew that they weren't (at least officially)
going to make the decision on the spot.

What I *have* said, instead (when it was true), was something
like "I've enjoyed meeting everybody, and this seems like a
great place to work. I'd definitely like to join your team!
When do you expect to make a decision?" (Of course, this
is after the long discussion of just how perfect the team
and I are for each other ;) )

This seems to have worked out well, and sounded less
ignorant or formulaic to me than "asking for the job" as
though it could be awarded right then and there ...

Of course some of this may be personality-dependent.
Maybe some folks could pull off "so when do I start" or
"can I have the job?" Me, I would feel (and therefore look)
awkward.

Greg Holmes