Re: Future Trends in Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Future Trends in Technical Writing
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:13:33 -0800

I think the key is to ask questions that actually have something to do with the position. I suppose some of the questions I may
ask a candidate, such as what the candidate would do if it's three
days before document deadline and the HW and SW project
managers are suddenly butting heads over a key product issue, or how the candidate would deal with an assigned reviewer who won't review the doc because "nobody reads the manuals
anyway," could be called "behavioral interviewing." But if I
were asked the open-ended "tell me about a time when you..." sample questions I've seen it would just make me wonder if
my prospective employer was founded by L. Ron Hubbard.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>

I think I'll leave the psychological questioning to the HR rep, who conducts scores of interviews each week; I'm more confortable sticking to questions about technical writing.