Re: Webworks, Framemaker, TOC headaches

Subject: Re: Webworks, Framemaker, TOC headaches
From: "Kevin Amery" <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:40:22 -0500

It won't have been introduced to the Frame doc by WebWorks - WebWorks
doesn't modify the source files.

The number in the first instance looks like a topic ID, which would allow a
specific topic in the Help to be mapped to a part of the application
interface. However, I'm not sure why it has a "2" following the colon with a
space before the rest of the number. The ID numbers in our documents don't
use that syntax. We just create a Cross-Ref and start with the number, with
no spaces.

HTH.

--
Until next time...

Kevin Amery

On 11/13/06, Ethan Metsger <emetsger -at- obj-sys -dot- com> wrote:

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:01:29 -0500, Kevin Amery <kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com>
wrote:

> Not sure what would cause this, but here are a few questions that may
> help
> pin it down:
>
> - Is the TOC entry correct in Frame? Or is the problem only happening
> once
> you create the Help? This should tell us if the problem is in the
> original
> FrameMaker docs or in the translation through WebWorks.

The TOC entry is correct, I think; I ctrl-alt-click it and it drops me to
just the right place in the main documentation file.

> - Is the TOC link to a Heading or to a CrossLink? If a CrossLink, check
> that
> the link is correct. If to a Heading, are there any other headings with
> the
> same text?

I guess I'm not entirely sure. When I view the marker, the type is
Hypertext and points like so:

openObjectId CCppUsersGuide.fm:2 1104242

There are no markers whatsoever on the heading; Frame has picked it up by
its style (heading3). The interesting thing is that some of the other
headings have cross-ref markers like

_Toc421961047

But the numbers don't seem to have any correlation to the markers in the
TOC, so I am not sure whether they were inserted by Webworks or by a prior
documenter. Others have more readable cross-ref markers, but I don't know
Frame well enough to find out what they reference or how to add the same
elsewhere.

Thanks for the tips!

-Ethan

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kevindamery -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kevindamery%40gmail.com