RE: Coordinating Field Defs and Procedural Info

Subject: RE: Coordinating Field Defs and Procedural Info
From: "Daniel Frankham" <daniel -dot- frankham -at- saabsystems -dot- com -dot- au>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:52:27 +1030

For our main documentation project we have a volume dedicated to form
descriptions. ('Form' is the term we use for our software's equivalent
of a dialog box.) In the form reference volume the forms are listed in
alphabetical order. Each form description includes a description of each
field in the form, including the data format and a list of all the
possible values for the field, or a range of possible values for fields
that take numerical input.

In the operating procedures volume, we don't provide much detail on the
use of forms, unless they're especially tricky or unintuitive. We tend
to assume that the interface is fairly self-explanatory with regard to
how forms work, so only a few need a detailed walk-through.

The customer gets these manuals as printed books. Converting the manual
to a soft version with hyper-links is an idea that has been discussed a
few times and may happen some day.

--
Daniel Frankham