RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar

Subject: RE: Evaluating Candidates Using Tests, Logic Questions, and Similar
From: "Daniel Frankham" <daniel -dot- frankham -at- saabsystems -dot- com -dot- au>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:30:30 +1030

I was given a writing test before being accepted for my first tech
writing job.

The interview process had left the company with two candidates who both
seemed equally suited to the job (by which they meant we were capable of
writing in English, and willing to do it for very little money). They
chose between us by having each of us visit the company for half a day
to write a user guide for a simple piece of software they had developed.
We were assessed on the quality of the work and also the time taken to
produce it. (I took a little longer than the other candidate, but they
preferred my work.)

--
Daniel Frankham