RE: Hiring Discrimination

Subject: RE: Hiring Discrimination
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:56:04 -0400

At a previous employer, the tech pubs mgr (a lady) hired ONLY women for
the department of about a 15 or 16 writers, illustrators and formatters.
A token male showed up once in awhile for "show", but inevitably, it was
a woman who got the job. There was no (sexual) hanky-panky, but no men
were going to be hired in. And management simply either never noticed or
didn't care. (Fairly large company with offices worldwide.)

To my knowledge, almost everybody in the department was "straight" and
the one who wasn't was NOT the mgr. All were good folks. Some of the
women themselves complained about the department becoming nothing more
than a "hens nest", and there were many cat-fights. Cripe, sometimes you
could almost cut the air, it was so chilled by all the stress.

The fax machine was in a public area accessible by all employees and I
regularly saw the incoming fax-resumes from the chosen placement firm
and virtually all were women candidates. I asked someone about this once
(on the q-t, of course) and was told that hardly any men applied.

Sure.

The 5 guys in the department (including me) were hired before the tech
pubs mgr herself was hired. I was there a total of 12 years and saw lots
of ups and downs.

Other than her (to me) obvious favoritism, she was a very good manager
and professional in tech pubs skills. But she was not about to hire in a
guy.

And it got to be uncomfortable. It got to the point that various others
in the company jokingly pulled me or any of the other guys aside during
meetings and asked when we were getting our own skirts and dresses.

When she left, the ethics and professionalism by the new incoming mgr
was down around pond-scum. Another topic for another day.

-- Kenpo