RE: Consulting Fees

Subject: RE: Consulting Fees
From: "Roger Bell" <RBell -at- vcgsoftware -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:37:38 -0400

Elayne, your post raises an issue in my mind that some of us may have
not considered. In Canada you have universal healthcare. In the US, we
do not. Some contract writers in the US may be able to get insurance
through their spouses' companies. Others here cannot or are single. Thus
some writers have a negotiating advantage on their rates if they already
have insurance. For those of us who would have to purchase it privately,
it is a substantial cost of doing business or we do without.

Roger Bell
Technical Writer
770.246.2300 x 2366
VCG, Inc.
The power to succeed.
www.vcgsoftware.com
1805 Old Alabama Road, Suite 250, Roswell, GA 30076

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from
any computer.

From: Elayne - view profile
Date: Fri, Sep 8 2006 8:18 am
Email: "Elayne" <sand -dot- -dot- -dot- -at- rogers -dot- com>
Groups: bit.listserv.techwr-l
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual
Message | Show original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Up here in Ottawa, I get $50/hour CDN in my pocket for
basic Web writing
and $70 in my pocket for technical writing (online hep
development). I
work through staffing agencies for the low rate and
consulting firms for
the higher rate (which also means long term contracts on
projects). In
both cases, the middlemen are charging about $525 per
diem. I'm a
senior TW and my rate is considered high. These rates
are for the
public sector (Government of Canada, oh dear, I'm
supposed to call it
"Canada's New Government), the private sector here is
comprised mostly
of telecom and biomed companies, so the rate continues
to be supported.

Going through middlemen means that they take care of my
security
clearance, it means I always get paid on time (even if
the middleman
doesn't). I could try and go direct through the
government's
procurement methods, but I am a one-person shop. I may
make $5.00 more
per hour, but the administrative overhead is too much of
a nightmare.

Annual gross income has been between $96,000 and
$110,000 for the past
15 years. And I have nothing to show for it :)

Elayne