RE: Consulting Fees

Subject: RE: Consulting Fees
From: "Elayne" <sandahl -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 08:18:46 -0400

Up here in Ottawa, I get $50/hour CDN in my pocket for basic Web writing
and $70 in my pocket for technical writing (online hep development). I
work through staffing agencies for the low rate and consulting firms for
the higher rate (which also means long term contracts on projects). In
both cases, the middlemen are charging about $525 per diem. I'm a
senior TW and my rate is considered high. These rates are for the
public sector (Government of Canada, oh dear, I'm supposed to call it
"Canada's New Government), the private sector here is comprised mostly
of telecom and biomed companies, so the rate continues to be supported.

Going through middlemen means that they take care of my security
clearance, it means I always get paid on time (even if the middleman
doesn't). I could try and go direct through the government's
procurement methods, but I am a one-person shop. I may make $5.00 more
per hour, but the administrative overhead is too much of a nightmare.

Annual gross income has been between $96,000 and $110,000 for the past
15 years. And I have nothing to show for it :)

Elayne