RE: Software requirements

Subject: RE: Software requirements
From: "Diana Ost" <Diana -dot- Ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com>
To: "Ladonna Weeks" <ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:37:26 -0400

That's what Use Cases are for, and are perfect for a technical writer to
do.

Use cases are requirements expressed in action process steps performed
by the user and the system (as well as where they "touch" any ancillary
systems).

Use cases can be either "black box" (we don't care what the system is,
and don't describe what the system does inside, just the input and
output) or "white box" (we describe the internal system actions, as well
as describing the input and output). A use case includes actors (users
and systems of different types) and steps to a process using the system
under development and the requirements. These are usually done in
tables, which I can't do in plain text, but have used hyphens to show
the column breaks. For example:

Actor: General User
System: Our System
Premise: The general user will be able to login and retrieve their
messages in OurSystem.

Steps:
Actor - Step - Action
General User - 1 - Logs in to OurSystem with GUID and password.
OurSystem - 2 - Receives GUID and Password.
OurSystem - 3 - Matches GUID and Password to user list. Is it a known
user? If Yes, proceed. If No, Stop, and send message to screen "Login
not allowed," and message to log file (logfile.txt) Unknown user, GUID,
Date, Time.
General User - Login is accepted. Selects message area.
Etc....

Anyway, that's a short version.

Here are some of the books that have used for writing good use cases,
all available through Amazon.

Use Case Driven Object Modeling with UML : A Practical Approach
(Addison-Wesley)
The Rational Unified Process: An Introduction (2nd Edition)
Writing Effective Use Cases
Use Cases: Requirements in Context

The last two are *excellent* and very easy to follow. Additionally, when
the use cases are done, you can use them as a basis for user guides,
system guides, and so on.

Diana Ost
Technical Writer/Reporting Analyst

This message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged
information and are only for the intended recipient of this message. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return
email or phone, and delete or destroy this and all copies of this
message and all attachments. Any unauthorized disclosure, use,
distribution, or reproduction of this message or any attachments is
prohibited and may be unlawful.