Re: Obtaining contracts

Subject: Re: Obtaining contracts
From: "Diana Ost" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:25:59 -0400

On 8/28/06, James Barrow <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

This sort of leads back to my original question: How do I get notified of
these positions as quickly as a tier-1 recruiter? From previous posts, it
seems that it might be as simple as building up my reputation by calling
these companies directly, submitting myself through my corporation, and
then
fulfilling the contract with stellar results.

I am not currently working for myself, but I have in the past. I got jobs
through tech writer contacts (some STC, some not), and some pretty agressive
marketing. I used the local chamber of commerce and other employment
organizations (such as those that posted jobs to bid on for woman-owned
businesses) to run down leads. I sent out a lot of marketing material, and
also developed a Web site (which is being revamped now, so there isn't
anything to look at at the present).

Honestly, the networking I did brought in the most business. I told everyone
I knew what I was doing and what kind of work I was looking for. I did
everything from proposals to training to marketing communications. I had
plenty of work until the crash in the mid-90's. Then I went to work
consulting again.

One advantage that I have is lots of different experience in a wide range of
industries. If you are more focused on one or two, you can also market
yourself to companies in those areas directly. Most public companies can be
researched on the Web. Contact the Marketing Department or the CIO's office.
Ask who to send a brochure to. Rather than presenting yourself as a
"contract employee," present yourself as a small business who can charge
lower rates than the big contracting firms, and provide more individual
service. That's how I differentiated my services.

Good luck !
Diana