RE: Reviewers who don't review

Subject: RE: Reviewers who don't review
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:49:58 -0400

I wasn't addressing what occurs after he fails to do his job, and I *am*
assuming his job includes reviewing the doc or the TW wouldn't be asking him
to do so. Who reviewers are and who mandates such review is something that
should be in the doc plan and well known to everyone involved.

> > > but the QA geek didn't hire us.
> >
> > So what?
>
> So, unless you enjoy beating your head against the wall, what you
> want has to fit into what he has been told.

See above comment.

> > > They hired him to do what he does, and unless he is
> > > instructed by his management that his job includes
> > > documentation review (like around here),
> >
> > Good grief -- that's assumed, John. We're not talking about asking
> > someone to review a doc because you think they're smart.
>
> Assumed? You still doing that? Not me...I assume nothing.

Before word #1 is written, who the reviewers are going to be has to be
known, or who will be the authority on who the reviewers are when the review
needs to happen.

> > > he'll do what management requires of him, and they
> > > didn't say "review docs".
>
> > Who said they didn't? What TW in her right mind would ask anyone
> > she didn't HAVE to?
>
> What TW would ask some of the stupid question that they do on this
> list? (and yes, there is such a thing as a stupid question)

Many are inexperienced and may ask "stupid" questions, but I'm sure plenty
of people have laughed at mine AND yours.

> Besides...were you there when the sme was told to answer any
> questions? Were you copied on the email? Shoot, some smes are told to
> ignore us
>
> All I know is that I stopped fighting the system and in trying to
> work within it, have been getting more reviews on a timely basis.

I'm clearly not talking about fighting the system. If you want to argue
that, you're misreading me completely.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com