RE: Reviewers who don't review

Subject: RE: Reviewers who don't review
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:23:32 -0400

Sarah,

All of the replies to your problem are good, but after having fought the
same battles as you over and over at various companies, keep in mind
that personalities (friendships cut across ALL rules no matter what) and
politics (who's zooming who, so to speak) really determine the final
result.

If you and/or the reviewer(s) is/are liked/disliked, and/or
respected/disrespected all play a part in this.

I once received back signed-off review copies where two of the reviewers
demanded totally opposite changes to the document; both of the reviewers
were fine individuals otherwise, but wouldn't budge on their own outlook
of how the manual should address a certain point.

My manager said to call a meeting with the two reviewers, their manager,
my manager and myself and go through the sticking points.

So we did.

Nothing was settled. The meeting was very cordial, but no one budged. To
this day, I still don't recall how I got out of that one.

But my final advice is to just stop beating your head against a wall and
have your manager handle it. He/she should be able to then communicate
the apparent breach of company policy to the reviewers' manager for
him/her to handle.

You are then out of the line of fire and if it occurs again, your
manager is ready to take charge.

The letter from someone other than you to the field reps absolving you
of blame is mighty fine, too!

-- Ken Poshedly
Atlanta, Georgia
(High temp today will be in the upper 90's-- sheesh!)