RE: Acronyms--How often do you spell them out?

Subject: RE: Acronyms--How often do you spell them out?
From: "Poshedly, Ken" <PoshedlyK -at- polysius -dot- com>
To: "Darges, Katherine" <katherine -dot- darges -at- defensegp -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:27:26 -0400

The method described by Gene Kim-Eng is really the correct way to go.

Our job as tech writers is to make it easy for our "customer". Cutting
corners invites problems, including liability issues, too.

Put yourself in the place of the reader who gets the document minus the
section which contains first usage and definitions of terms, etc. Big
problem, eh?

Up until some time ago, this also the way news copy was written, but
unfortunately (in my opinion) it has changed. I started off with a
degree in news journalism, worked as a newspaper reporter, then a public
information officer for a major nonprofit organization and then
publications editor for several employers over the years before jumping
into technical writing fulltime in the early 1980s.

I still use some of my news writing techniques as tech writer, and it
really pays off.

Bottom line, define unfamiliar terms at first usage in each section that
MAY be removed.

-- Ken Poshedly
Atlanta, Georgia