Re: translation

Subject: Re: translation
From: "Cassandra Greer" <cassandra -at- greer -dot- de>
To: obair81 -at- comcast -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:49:24 +0200

Hi Paul

> Is there any particular reason why a translated user manual for a
> communications product would not include the tech specs appendix and the glossary?
>
> I ask because both, especially the tech specs, are full of terms that
> cannot be translated. So I am unsure of the value.
>
> What have other folks done?

I find it hard to imagine that there is nothing in the tech specs and the glossary that shouldn't be translated. Even if the terms aren't translatable, ie the target language uses the English terms, there are usually words around them esp in the glossary. The glossary may be especially important for those who don't have a perfect grasp of English and may have to be expanded for that reasonh. And in the specs, number formats and certain values may have to be localized - it very much depends on the target language/culture. I translate a lot of tech specs and they are full of untranslatable things but there are a lot of other things that need to be translated.

YMMV

Cass :)

--
Cassandra Greer