RE: Getting into technical writng

Subject: RE: Getting into technical writng
From: "Esthee Erasmus" <Esthee -at- k2workflow -dot- com>
To: "Joe Pisko" <joep95 -at- comcast -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:14:09 +0200

Sounds like technical writing might just be for you, especially the
learning new things part, as you are continuously learning new things in
a very short time.

When I started working as a Technical Writer, the field wasn't even
established in my country, so most companies were still wondering what a
technical writer was. I had just finished my degree in Applied
Launguage Studies majoring in Technical writing and English. I knew
that the trend would reach my country in about 3 years as it was already
making waves in America. So instead of knocking on unresponsive doors I
found an IT firm who needed documentation done and at first I worked for
free.

Radical but worth it. After two manuals they started paying and three
years later I had enough experience to actually go to an HR
department...

Good luck