Re: Did I overreact?

Subject: Re: Did I overreact?
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:58:15 -0400

Dan Goldstein wrote:
> Gee, Lou, speaking of overreactions...

>> ... They're criminals, like realtors...

Okay, bottom-feeders, then.

Honestly, if you take a $35/hr gig through a recruiter, whaddaya
think they're actually billing? A naif might suppose, "Well,
they're not actually *doing* much, so umm, maybe $45?" More like
$85. Absurd. And common.

I'm saying that Shelly shouldn't imagine that the employer values
her at $24/hr. Far as they're concerned, Shelly (or whomever is
placed) is a $65-$75/hr asset.

Yes, I've had positive experiences with recruiters, same as
everybody. It's just that we're in a period of distorted fees.
That distortion is maintained via secrecy, false complexity,
non-compete agreements and role inflation.

Realtors work the same grift.

Sure, we're used to it, take it as normal, assume that's the way
it'll always be. But the numbers can't stand the light of day.
These go-betweens can be valuable and should be making _something_,
but c'mon.

Suppose you got all the recruiters, recruits, and employers in the
western world in one room, and spread the numbers out on the table.
The recruits would be shocked, the employers surprised, and the
recruiters red-faced -- if they showed up, and they wouldn't.

LQ