Re: Time Zone Debate

Subject: Re: Time Zone Debate
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 22:42:26 -0400

Lisa Dugger wrote:
> Which is the correct usage of listing multiple business hours
> with a time zone?

Not a matter of "correct", rather "clear". First thing we need to
know are the days, next the times, then the time-zone clarification.
You don't want to say "Central `Standard` Time" or "CST", just
"Central Time" or "CT": let the reader correct for daylight
savings. Depending on audience, it can sometimes be clearer to just
say "Chicago time" or "(Chicago, U.S.)".

Monday - Thursday: 8AM - 7PM, CT
Friday: 8AM - 7PM, CT

Why no spaces/periods in the time (8:00 A.M.)? It's visual noise,
and there's no clarity advantage. Same with minutes. Include 'em
if they matter, forget 'em if they don't.

Is "CT" unclear? Maybe, but probably not. I see the days. Got it.
I see the times. Got it. Wait. They may not be in my time zone.
"CT" probably answers that (because there's a pattern of descending
significance). If I'm on Central Time, I already know what's up.
If I'm not, I know I need to check it.

In doubt? Spell out "Central Time". Global reach? "U.S. Central
Time".

Side by side now:

Monday - Thursday: 8AM - 7PM, CT
Friday: 8AM - 7PM, CT

8:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 A.M. to
7:00 P.M. Friday, Central Time.

Forget "correct". Which is clearer, easier to parse? More, which
is clearer to ESL users?

You don't have to decode mine. It's plain.

LQ