Synonym for 'license'?

Subject: Synonym for 'license'?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 11:21:02 -0500

Arroxane wonders: <<I have a question regarding the term license. Apparently we cannot ship software licenses to a certain country without triggering all kinds of customs bells, whistles, lights, and fines.>>

That suggests that the bigger problem is not how you describe this situation, but the conditions under which this export is legal. You need a lawyer familiar with export law to tell you how to handle this. Most of us have no legal expertise in this area (I have no legal expertise at all <g>), and you'd probably be unwise to rely too heavily on our advice. Make sure that you cover your ass appropriately, for example by asking your boss to acknowledge the problem in writing.

That being said, I can at least propose wording that you can bounce off your lawyer:

<<So, I've been asked to rewrite anything that discusses software licenses. The only problem being that I cannot think of an appropriate term to use. Examples: A system with fifteen channels requires fifteen licenses. This product is licensed for fiteen uses.>>

For example: "You must purchase a separate copy of this software for each user. You have currently purchased 15 copies. Please contact our sales department to find out about the discounted prices we offer for large purchases."

In short: forget about the jargon, and focus clearly and simply on what you expect the user/reader to do.

www.geoff-hart.com