Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please

Subject: Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 15:35:54 +0000

On Friday, March 3, 2006, Dick Margulis wrote;

> Sure they can be created manually from a shell...BY SOMEONE WHO ALREADY
> KNOWS HOW.

> I'm sorry if I appear ungrateful, but you wouldn't write that sentence
> in end user documentation, would you? Would you???
---

Reading the WebCalendar documentation suggests to me that the product
is not intended for novices and requires some familiarity with SQL and
basic database security. For a Linux user, it requires no special
skills - because editing configuration files and working on the
command line is accepted for that community. However, if you're a
Windows-only or Mac person, I suspect that WebCalendar will come as a
culture-shock.

>From the WebCalendar Administrator Guide, I suspect that the best tool
to set up the database is the MySQL command line. However, you can use
phpMyAdmin:

1. Get your users to log on to the host their provider specifies
using the username and password their provider supplied.
2. If required, change to the correct database.
3. In phpMyAdmin, open the SQL window and into this paste the contents
of the script that WebCalendar provides for table creation. Run the
script to create the tables.
4. In WebCalendar, edit the specified configuration file to include
DBMS type, host name, database name, username, and password. Do
this according to the instructions that the WebCalendar
documentation provides.

BTW, WebCalendar is not restricted to MySQL and can use most of the
more-popular DBMSs. BTW2 - I have no experience of WebCalendar and the
preceding text is from five minutes reading of their documentation.

HTH,

--
Geoff