Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please

Subject: Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please
From: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
To: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:07:17 +0200

On Friday 03 March 2006 15:45, Dick Margulis wrote:
> Sean Wheller wrote:
> > On Friday 03 March 2006 15:21, Dick Margulis wrote:
> >> If someone could throw me a rope, I'd really appreciate it.
> >
> > Where are you stuck?
>
> Just looking for an overview of what connects with what, what "user"
> means in various contexts (I'm not administering the MySQL database that
> belongs to the hosting company, for example; I just need to connect to
> it on behalf of WebCalendar) and where I plug that information in, etc.,
> etc. These applications look as if they'll be easy enough to administer
> once they're installed; the issue is installing them. Say what you will
> about Windows, at least the installation process has been automated for
> most apps.

So let's deal with it step-by-step. Make sure we're on the same page.

You want to install WebCalendar Version 2.9.3, correct?
http://www.math.utexas.edu/webcalendar/doc/index.html

You speak about needing MySQL. Strange, unless we are looking at different
applications, the WebCalendar located at the link above does not list MySQL
as a requirement.

Assuming the correct product:

Best place for support is not on this list. I suggest subscribing to the
project mailing list and asking there.

0. Check your server meets the requirements listed on the above link.
1. Check that you have root access to this box via SSH?
2. Assuming you do, then you need knowledge of webserver configuration and
perl.

If these conditions are met then, proceed, else speak to the ISP admin;done

In brief you need to read the INSTALL file provided and read the install perl
which you will need to modify for your system. Only once you have adjusted
install to your system can you do issue the command 'perl install'.

The install.pm is very nicely documented, assuming that you have Linux System
Admin Knowledge.

Before I go on, please confirm the above.

Thanks,

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author