Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:05:39 -0800

Cathy MacDonald wrote:

> My friends, in a not-so-hot job market, what would
> you do if you had toendure this stuff for up to a
> year more?

At the very least, I'd tell the rival boss what's
going on - that you are running inescapable errands
from your own boss and are merely a messenger.

I gather you've already been to HR and they have
not helped you.

You mention that your boss has a boss. I would document
all instances of verbal harassment. I would also try to
find any documentation I had that spelled out what my
job responsibilities are. I would document all instances
where I was asked to do errands outside my responsibilities.
Then I'd make an appointment with my manager's boss and
explain all this to him, staying as factual as possible
and avoiding negative adjectives.

Probably this won't work given that you say your manager
abuses everyone and presumably his boss is aware of the
situation and has done nothing about it. In that case,
you really don't have any choice but to look for another
job or put up with the current situation.

-- Janice