Smart answers and useful answers

Subject: Smart answers and useful answers
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:13:40 -0500

Had a little experience the other day -- could have been a trigger
sketch for a presentation about tech-writing.

I went to a Major Electronics Retailer and asked a salesperson for a
switch that lets you attach a TV to both a VCR and a DVD player,
selecting either one at a time.

The salesperson turned to a second salesperson and said, "Hey, do we
have a composite cable that lets you switch between video input
devices?"

The second salesperson said, "There's no such thing."

I said, "You're kidding. There's no device that lets you switch between
video input devices?"

The second salesperson said, "There's no such thing as a composite cable
that lets you switch between video input devices."

I said (not serious), "Gee, what an obvious device. I can't believe it
doesn't exist. I'm gonna go patent one right now."

The first salesperson, confused, repeated his exact, original question.
The second salesperson repeated his answer with exaggerated enunciation.

I had caught on by now and was ready to go to another Major Electronics
Retailer. As I turned, the second salesperson delivered what he must
have thought was the punchline.

"You're not looking for a 'composite cable.' You're looking for a
COMPONENT cable."

He then showed me what I wanted. Of course, by then I wasn't going to
buy anything from them.

Tie-in:
Neither your user nor your SME wants you to show off how smart you are
-- especially at their expense. They want you to show how *useful* you
can be.

-- Dan Goldstein

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.