Document authoring and publishing

Subject: Document authoring and publishing
From: "Chris Campbell" <ccampbell -at- astraschedule -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:00:15 -0600

I know there is a lot of information available on this subject, but my
research so far has left me more confused. I am evaluating my company's
needs for content authoring and publishing and trying to determine what
tool set and processes we need now and going forward. We are a software
company needing to make available product documentation, training
modules, how-to's, on-line help and context sensitive help. To date we
have used Word to generate all documents and have converted to HTML
using RoboHelp. Because the Word docs were never formatted correctly to
begin with this has been an uphill battle. I have recently assumed the
role of primary technical writer and am using this opportunity to
evaluate our situation and recommend a change. I have been doing some
research on FrameMaker, structured or unstructured, and trying to
determine if that move alone will provide the output flexibility we
need. I know that we will need XML capability to create the context
sensitive help that we are planning. Will moving to FrameMaker
(unstructured) and using WebWorks Publisher meet our needs, with the
ability to move into a structured environment at a later date to achieve
a more efficient work flow? Is that an improvement over our current
situation and worth the investment? I should also mention that I have
no experience with FrameMaker or XML and am wondering what kind of
learning curve to expect.

Thanks for any help.

Chris Campbell

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com