Re: Number one in text

Subject: Re: Number one in text
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:45:30 -0000

bhenderson asked:

+++
What is the correct
way to render the number one in this sentence?

Enter a number greater than one and less than 31.
Enter a number greater than 1 and less than 31.
+++

I would definitely go with the latter, on the
basis that it is numerals that the user will
have to enter into the interface, not words, so
why make the reader translate an english word
into a numeral unnecessarily? And anyway it would
look very odd to mix words and numerals.

If the values you can input are floating point
rather than integers then I would go further
and write "greater than 1.0" etc.

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
www.lightworkdesign.com