Microsoft Word Auto Numbering

Subject: Microsoft Word Auto Numbering
From: Frank Finnegan <frank -dot- finnegan -at- cisra -dot- canon -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:08:46 +1100

Greetings Everyone,

I need some help please to solve a problem I have with Microsoft Word. (Surprise, surprise!)

We are updating our very old Word templates to better reflect today's design standards. Most of our staff who use the templates are not Word experts and have little or no knowledge of styles and formatting. To be honest, most of their documents contain only Normal style paragraphs. My brief is to create a set of templates that are easy to use, are devoid of macros, have limited customized styles, and do not use customized toolbars. Basically, I need to craft a set of dumbed-down templates that still look great.

One of the templates uses Outline Numbering for Heading 1 through Heading 5. It also needs to be able to accommodate numbered lists. For example:

Heading 1
Introduction paragraph, leading into a numbered list:
1. Some text.
2. Some more text

Heading 1.2
Introduction paragraph, leading into a numbered list:
1. Some text.
2. Some more text

...and so on.

Normally I would use a SEQ field for the numbered lists, add it to auto text and assign it to a toolbar or shortcut key. Since this option is outside my brief, I am forced to rely on Word's unreliable and unpredictable auto-numbering feature. Here is my problem when pressing the Numbering toolbar button:

When the cursor is in a Normal paragraph that has another Normal paragraph preceding it, Word behaves as expected and adds numbering to the paragraph.

... however ...

When the cursor is in a Normal paragraph that follows a Heading paragraph, Word changes the style of the Normal paragraph to the same as the preceding Heading paragraph.

QUESTION:
How can I have both outline numbering (for the headings) and numbered lists in the same template?

I've searched the Web, the MVP sites, the Microsoft Knowledge Base, news groups, and the TECHWR-L archives and cannot find an answer. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Frank.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com