RE: Capitalize generic "Logic Engine"? (take II)

Subject: RE: Capitalize generic "Logic Engine"? (take II)
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:28:17 -0500

While I completely agree with Geoff's conclusions, I have to pick
one nit regarding trademarks. Geoff's statement that "If the
full legal name is 'Diego Portal', then both parts are proper nouns
and must be capped" is not technically correct. If this phrase is
being used as a trademark, the only legally proper usage is as an
*adjective* phrase, not as a noun. Geoff is clearly aware of this
because his example properly uses the wording "Diego Portal(TM)
software" even though his grammatical terminology is a little off
the mark.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Subject: Capitalize generic "Logic Engine"? (take II)
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:40:37 -0500

Claire Conant wondered: <<We had a similar debate this morning regarding a term we use here: Digeo portal. The debate is whether to capitalize portal. I've been editing it as capitalized, considering it a brand name or trademark, but I'd like to know what you think.>>

If the full legal name is "Digeo Portal", then both parts are proper nouns and must be capped. If not, then not. <g> Here's an example that shows the difference: "The Digeo Portal(TM) software is Digeo's portal solution, and it competes favorably with MS Portal(R), Microsoft's portal solution."

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com