Re: Microsoft Word Auto Numbering

Subject: Re: Microsoft Word Auto Numbering
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:37:35 +0530

Suggestions:

1. If you're using Normal (style) for your paragraphs, consider
changing that to Body Text (style).

2. Sometimes when your headings have the same formatting (font, size,
etc.) as your Body/Normal text, when you assign a numbered list
property to a paragraph, Word automatically gives it a heading style.

While this may have been intended as an aid for very dumb users, it
totally infuriates the slightly smarter ones.

Consider using slightly different formatting for your headings. (We
usually use a serif font for the body in printed documents and a sans
serif heading style.)

3. I usually incorporate keyboard shortcuts for commonly-used styles.
For the last decade or so, I've stuck to the following scheme:

Alt+D for body text (comfortable position for the most-used style).

Alt+1 for heading level 1
Alt+2 for heading level 2... and so on for headings

Alt+b for List Bullet (first level)
Alt+n for List Number (first level)
Alt+c for captions
...and so on.