Re: Problem with PDF Images

Subject: Re: Problem with PDF Images
From: Yves Barbion <ybarbion -at- uni-learning -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:43:31 +0200

Hello Padma (and, of course, fellow techwhirlers),

**Your questions were:

1. What is the best format of images to use?

I use GIF for screen shots; JPEG for digital photos, but PNG works nicely too.

2. What is the best resolution to render these images, so that I have
quality images displayed on the PDFs?

I import the images at 144 dpi in Frame and they look perfect (1:1) when viewed at 150 % in Acrobat (or FrameMaker)
A bit of maths now: 144 = 2 x 72 dpi or 1.5 x 96 dpi. This is the reason why they look perfect when viewed at 150%, because this is 1.5 times the original size at 96 dpi.

Also, check your Acrobat Distiller Job Options (called "PDF Settings" since version 6) and make sure that Downsampling is not selected for the images.

Good luck and best regards

Yves Barbion Senior Technical Writer
Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor

U&I Learning NV (formerly ATEK NV)