Re: Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications

Subject: Re: Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications
From: Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:06:21 -0400

Without going into the ins and outs of the NDA that you signed, which
is actually
what you need to obey as far as governing your actions...

Your query made me want to clarify one point -- are you talking about writing
samples, short passages that you need to send to someone who apparently doesn't
think you wrote your own resume ( ;- ) here) or are you talking
about your portfolio?

I would not voluntarily send samples, even if requested. I'd say, nicely, that
you'd be happy to present your portfolio at your interview (which is
expected anyway)
but because of the proprietary nature of what you wrote, you cannot
provide advance
copies nor leave copies behind.

If you absolutely have to provide writing samples in order to get an
interview, I would
perform the steps that you did to disguise the companies. But it would
be exceptional
circumstances, not something you'd do for every resume you send out, or even
1 in 10.

If your question actually has more to do with your portfolio, of
presenting a trunk full
of stuff marked "proprietary," I'd show whatever you had created, period.

Art

--
Art Campbell art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com
No disclaimers apply.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com