Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications

Subject: Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications
From: Karen <ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 23:53:56 -0700 (PDT)

Most of the writing I have done in the past is
internal documents for a large IT company. 99%
indicates confidential, proprietary, and/or internal
use only--whether it really needed it or not.

Seven years, one company, straight out of graduate
school and then downsizing occurred.

How do you handle sending writing samples to potential
employers?

I have edited the documents to take out references to
fictitious company names (lots of Widget USA in there
now.) Then, I take the most benign documentation that
I think everyone in the world would know so that
nothing could be considered proprietary. After that, I
take a 10-15 page sample that includes prose,
drawings, tables, flowcharts, etc., and create a PDF
to send for a sample.

How do you get around the
confidential/proprietary/internal use issue?

Karen
Colorado

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com