Re: Resume Services

Subject: Re: Resume Services
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:54:51 -0700

On Thu, 2005-22-09 at 13:25 -0700, Edwin Skau wrote:

> You know your strengths best, and you know how they were used to best
> effect, and what helped them develop.

You make it sound like an either-or situation. I've written resumes
professionally, and I always begin with a long interview with the
client, and get his or her input after each draft.

This interaction is necessary because, contrary to what you say very
few people, including many tech-writers, have a strong sense of what
should be in a resume. Most of the time, they have an idea that they
need to put every job since their paper route in Grade. Almost always,
they don't have the slightest idea how to present their experience in
the best light while remaining truthful. Inevitably, I have to pump them
for the information I need and to ensure the accuracy of what I write
afterwards.

Really, it's not much different from working with a subject matter
expert on a technical subject. I'd estimate that half to two-thirds of
my bill is for consultation, rather than for physical writing and
editing.

I'm aware, of course, that some large resume services do not give
personalized service. And you're right; they don't do you much good. But
some of us who have done this sort of work like to pride ourselves on
quality results.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Mr Ledbetter won't you tell me again,
What's a Mississippi flush and how's it beat this hand?"
"They don't ask questions in the graveyard,
It's a small revolver and any five cards."
- Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Mississippi Flush"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com