Re: Resume Services

Subject: Re: Resume Services
From: "Edwin Skau" <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:25:41 -0700

Hi,

Will they also appear for the interview in your stead?

------

Although mine may not be the best CV in the world, I would never let someone else do that for me.

It's kinda like scratching your back. Though some else's hand feels good, you know exactly where and how it itches.

You know your strengths best, and you know how they were used to best effect, and what helped them develop.
A professional resume service may have a "leading" questionnaire, that may not capture your essence as well.

I've sloshed about in CV swamps surced (by our HR department) from online job sites and head-hunting services. Many of these CVs conform to the format prescribed by those sources. You can often tell where those CVs came from.

Many of those documents sounded very synthetic, dyed in flourescent hues. And many of those candidates didn't come across as the persona described in the document.

I personally prefer going through a CV that bears the spoor of the person I'm going to meet. If you've edited for as long as I've done, you can almost tell what they've had for breakfast from the way they write.

And that's why I like working on my own CV too.

But that's a personal preference.

Instead of having a professional work on your CV, have a friend (preferably someone who hires) review your CV and give you useful feedback.

-eddy

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com