Re: Advice/survey on professional development?

Subject: Re: Advice/survey on professional development?
From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:06:26 -0400

Rebecca,

Her are a few suggestions on how to keep the torch of TW burning:

1) Learn new software and tools related to TW.

2) Take online/community college/university courses that enhance both your expertise and interests--even if you do not intend to get another degree.

3) Expand your professional contacts.

4) Increase your value in areas other than just writing/editing. Examine what your company needs and see how you can get your fingers in that pie, even if its not in your job description.

5) Find a hobby that combines what you love about TW with something interesting. For instance, I have a friend who is no longer happy as a TW but her hobby is dancing. I suggested that she write a guide on dance. Even if she never sells the book, at least she's busy, happy, and expanding her skills in a fun way.

6) Volunteer to write/edit for a newsletter (for STC, other professional society, school, sports club, church, etc).

7) Volunteer in your community... being satisfied with my role in the community helps distract me when things at work don't quite meet my expectations.

8) Focus on skills which are not directly related to technical writing but may help your career, such as leadership or training.

Good luck!

Arroxane, humming "A Few of My Favorite Things"