Advice/survey on professional development?

Subject: Advice/survey on professional development?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:03:16 -0400

Rebecca Stevenson reports: <<I feel like I've hit a plateau as a tech writer, and it's causing a certain malaise.>>

I have two words for you: "Peter Principle". <g> Beware the temptation to seek advancement to a level at which you can demonstrate your incompetence to be at that level.

<<I'm curious about what list members to do to ensure that they're continuing to grow and get better at what they do.>>

Pay attention to your passions. What do you love about what you're currently doing? What would you love to be doing in addition to that? What would you like to stop doing? Once you know the answers to these questions, you can start deciding what the alternatives are and how to proceed. But if you don't ask--and answer--the hard questions, the malaise will persist.

<<My current employment situation doesn't have any support mechanisms for this sort of thing.>>

Have you talked to your Personnel or HR department? Sometimes there are formal mechanisms for job or career change that simply aren't advertised to staff, including the lower-level managers you may be working with. And sometimes there are informal options that the HR people can tell you about; for example, they're often the first to hear that Joe in Marketing and Jane in Project Management are looking for someone who can write to help them with a new project...

The other informal "mechanism" that works well involves keeping your ear to the ground and talking to people. For example, when I found out that some of my researcher colleagues were developing software, I paid them a visit and asked whether they enjoyed the prospect of having to write the documentation for it that I would eventually edit (our traditional relationship up to that point). No, they emphatically did not. So I offered to write it for them. ("I'd love to do the writing for you. Ask Ernie (my boss) to assign me this task.")

That's how I became a technical writer, in addition to my editorial work. Same approach got me work as a French translator, Web designer, interface designer, instructional designer, and a few other things. If you don't ask...

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com