Re: Tech Writing Internships

Subject: Re: Tech Writing Internships
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 13:06:42 -0400

Diane Evans wrote:

We are hiring a young man who has just completed his first year in college. Part of the reason is that he is a "blank slate"

It's a good book. Folks should read it. The Blank Slate, that is.

-- he doesn't
bring a lot of previous experience or real-world knowledge that will slow him down. He is young and eager to learn.

"Young" used to be paired regularly with "eager to learn." My experience with young people over the last ten years or so is that combination has become oxymoronic. Do you find that there still are such people to be had? The young people I've encountered have been almost pathologially incurious about any aspect of the real world. I don't think this is just a case of my getting older and my perspective changing. I find that people who are growing up now in the same type of environment I grew up in and with the same kinds of opportunities I had are blank in more ways than one. Anyone else notice that?

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create 14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com