RE: OT Extracting text from Flash files

Subject: RE: OT Extracting text from Flash files
From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:17:45 -0400

> Does anyone know of a(n easy) way to extract text from a
> Flash file? A colleague agreed to translate a web site
> without looking at it first and now knows that it is one huge
> Flash file (gag....). Some of the pages can be copied and
> pasted and some can't... She will not be happy if she has to OCR it.

Text in Flash files can take many forms and be used in many different
types of controls (some of which let you copy/paste it out and others
that don't).

The difficulty level of your translation project all depends on the
source. It's possible to roll your own resource bundles when building
Flash apps, or use embedded text files to provide content, but at this
point you probably don't know if the engineers kept that in mind when
desiging the site...

First thing I would do is ask for the source files (*.FLA) plus any
embedded resources and ActionScript class libraries and go from there.
BTW, you're probably asking the wrong forum. I would head on over to a
Flash coder's list and see what they know.

Matthew Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
Macromedia

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com