RE: Flickr Re: Tech Whirler Dinner -- Thanks, Mom!

Subject: RE: Flickr Re: Tech Whirler Dinner -- Thanks, Mom!
From: "Matt Horn" <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:00:29 -0400

> eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com wrote:
> > Anyone know what the technology/programming behind the site is? My
> > department is desperately looking for a way to organise and
> classify
> > photos taken of various equipment being documented.

The Slideshow is Flash. Unless I am missing something, classification is
just done with tags that users add when they upload images. I went
through the process to verify this and yes, that's it. For each photo,
you can type in a word or phrase (or multiples of each) that are then
considered classifications.

There's no formal taxonomy, there's no auto-classification, there's
noone behind the green curtain.

> A killer Flickr feature that has ramifications for
> documentation projects is the ability to add "Notes", which
> are mouseover call-outs.

If your docs are in Flash, this is trivial.

> Close as I can tell, each gallery image in Flickr is rendered
> as the background image of a Flash animation.

Right. Pictures are loaded at runtime to reduce movie size.

Matthew J. Horn
Sr. Technical Writer
Macromedia

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com