RE: Writing Procedures

Subject: RE: Writing Procedures
From: "Kathleen" <keamac -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 08:53:13 -0700

Hi Carrie,

I don't know that there's a blanket answer to your question, because the
length and context could affect how you structure the
steps/explanations.

I tend to make the steps for each item complete, just as a matter of
policy, unless they're very long and complex, in which case I "might"
refer people to a specific set containing the necessary steps.
Preferably, I'd use the technique below for that situation.

Another option that I've found very helpful for repeated parts of
instructions is to break the repeated part out and make it a next step.
So you give people steps 1-3, then say "now go to section x." That
technique doesn't work in all circumstances, but it works often enough
to make thinking about it worth while.

HTH

Kathleen