Client Newsletter

Subject: Client Newsletter
From: "Lyda Woods" <lwoods -at- plexisweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:00:38 -0700

The technical writers at my company are in a pitched battle to take
editorial control of a proposed client newsletter (to current clients
only). We sell a healthcare claims adjudication system and my idea is
to attach a public link into the help system so that users can have
instant access to the newsletter. We are also going to use help as a
documentation organizer for clients, as you'll see in the proposal I've
written below. Please give me feedback about your experience. Do you
write a client newsletter? How is the writing different from writing
user documentation? Or is it the same tone, style, etc. For instance,
I have the urge to put cartoons in the newsletter (medical cartoons of
course) but no desire at all to put them in the User Guide!

Client Newsletter

Purpose: to answer client mandate for more up-to-date help and support

Why is it useful to place the newsletter in the Help System?

* Instant access to all PCM users without any effort on the
client's part to distribute it
* The help system can be recognized as a main source for
information about PCM, so clients will see help as a portal to the PCM
user community; no internet access needed.
* We see the help system as the organizer for many types of
information; we organize the information resources so the clients
doesn't have to:

* Reference materials (current)
* Glossary (current)
* Release Notes Library (current)
* Client Newsletter (trainer's corner, tech support
corner, tips, updates, Q&A with various clients and others, all focused
on usage)

Future Goals for Help System:

* Client customization area for special
procedure/reference docs (secure area with login access)
* Online tutorials (brief, video-based with voice over)
* Client newsletter with updates, tips, Q & A, and a tech
support corner
* User Community listserv
* Training
* Link to program updates/upgrades?
* Other?

Why Technical Writers should publish the newsletter as its editors:

* Our work makes us very familiar with technical writing
standards, best practices for image capture, and for knowledge
management
* We understand the editing process: from early
developmental editing to proofreading
* Having been edited ourselves often we know how to be
compassionate editors for others
* We are already focused on writing for the client which
is different than writing for sales or for internal use

The work will give us a chance to learn from others inside the company,
such as tech support with whom we would like more interaction.

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com