Re: How do you maintain dynamic material

Subject: Re: How do you maintain dynamic material
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:03:25 -0400

Denise Lystad wrote:

> I have been asked to develop a process for writing and maintaining
> information that our Helpdesk gathers and publishes online for both
> themselves and our users. I would be very interested in knowing how
> other organizations deal with this issue.

> Situation - Our Helpdesk keeps track of frequently asked questions,
> common problems, installation issues, etc. using a software program for
> tracking problem calls. With this information, they prepare online
> technical "cheat sheets" for the Helpdesk staff and simpler,
> non-technical ones for our users. Our problem is keeping this
> information up-to-date; no one wants ownership. What process do you use?

For PARROT (Product Assistance Rapid Regional Offsite Technician)
trainees in our MUTT (Most Useful Technology Transfer) program, we've
been using stickies. As part of the program launch, our PARROTs flew
to local supply stores, they had a ball picking out stickies of
various colors and shapes. We tried online purchasing, but our PARROT
teams would flock to ebay, and get caught up in bidding for cuttlebone
and millet gift packs for each other.

We use RBSB (Really Big Stickie Board) as our knowledge repository.
When a PARROT comes up with a modification to a cheat sheet, they
place their new stickie over the previous one. This has worked well
for us in tracking and identifying new issues, and management has no
problem accessing the history of each cheat sheet.

To further enable users of the program, we've installed several
watering cups on the RBSB, hoping to entice our PARROTs to use the
RBSB as an ersatz knowledge incubator, a tech support waterhole.

Our help desk has improved in several ways. Our PARROTs have memorized
the cheat sheets, which is a good thing, as they have a habit of
shredding off important parts when they become nervous and
over-worked. As the litter in each cubicle increases with these
stickie shards, management can readily see when it is time for a water
change.

Occasionally we lose a PARROT when the weather is nice and the front
door has been left open, but we are confident that each new PARROT
trainee will assume ownership of their territory, and find perfect

Ed Wurster
Tech Tips Blog
http://www.ewurster.com/html/tech_tips.html

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l