Re: Just can't help myself

Subject: Re: Just can't help myself
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:07:48 -0700

<<Are we disrespected, or what? I just want to know if
bubble gum snapping is an unwritten requirement.>>

This is a horrible ad. It reflects ignorance about what we do. It seems to
me, however, that it reflects the minority of ads and a few people who
really have no idea of what we do who are in hiring and "ad placing"
positions.

I wrote a column in an STC newsletter about a year ago after meeting with a
woman who was the Worldwide Director of Training for a global billion dollar
corporation. She couldn't even make basic decisions, including salary and
rate decisions. When we were trying to negotiate a working arrangement for
one of my consultants, we arrived at a point that I realized there was no
advantage to putting someone in there. The torture for the consultant would
have been unreal, and the expectations of the "Director" would have been
punishing for both parties. I walk away from the deal, even though my
company could have had an early footing at "preferred vendor status."

Why? The abyss of ignorance about what we do runs so deeply, I could have
spent years trying to move this woman from "gum snapping" to
professionalism, and might not have succeeded. I had to admit there was
simply not a business fit.

My two cents on an ad like that? Recognize there is not a business fit, and
move on.

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
President